Benefits of witch hazel
Bewitching beauty. I think that’s what they had in mind when they named witch hazel. Known for its healing properties, its capabilities extend far more than just being a natural skin remedy. Rather, it can transform your skin in unimaginable ways, lending it an angelic glow and radiance, leaving the onlooker absolutely stunned, and bewitched.
It truly is a rare and magical gift of nature, and if you’re interested to learn more about it, keep on reading.
What is witch hazel?
Hamamelis Virginiana, commonly known as witch hazel, is a shrub native to North America. What adds to its rarity is that unlike other flowering plants, it blooms in late fall. With a history of healing, the bark, twigs, leaves and roots of witch hazel have been used for centuries to treat a host of skin ailments including sunburns, stings and open wounds. Rich in tannins, when rubbed on skin, it can reduce swelling and help in fighting off bacteria. It has also been used over the years to soothe chapped, flaky and irritated skin. Owing to its potent antiseptic and anti-aging properties, it is one of the few botanicals approved by the FDA. Its distilled extracts can be commonly found at pharmacies.
Adding this ingredient to your skincare routine can be a game changer as it helps to heal, soothe and nourish the skin. To further know about the benefits of using witch hazel, continue reading.
Benefits of Witch Hazel
- Relieves inflammation: Witch hazel’s anti-inflammatory properties lend it skin soothing abilities, making it extremely effective against irritating skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, rashes and hemorrhoids.
- Treatment for acne: Witch hazel also makes an effective acne treatment as it is an astringent, helping to dry out acne, pimples and pustules. It can also be used to reduce non-inflammatory acne such as blackheads and white heads. The astringent properties of witch hazel work best for people with oily skin who are also more likely to suffer from frequent acne breakouts.
- Removes excess oil: Oily skin is not a problem, rather a skin type. However, skin can become excessively oily owing to environmental factors, as well as our diets. The skin can also go into overdrive and produce excessive oil when it’s not being moisturized and hydrated enough. Witch hazel helps to balance out the excessive oil, leaving it feeling fresh instead of sticky and greasy.I
- Helps tighten the pores: With age our skin’s ability to produce collagen decreases, which results in our skin losing its firmness and elasticity. In turn, our pores start appearing enlarged and more visible. Witch hazel, with its skin tightening and astringent properties, shrinks the appearance of these enlarged pores, giving the skin a more smooth and flawless appearance.
- Fights razor bumps: An aftermath of shaving that we all dread is razor bumps. Sometimes, nothing seems to work in getting rid of them. However, witch hazel seems to be a great solution for keeping them at bay, and is the reason why it’s found in the formulation of many aftershaves, along with its ability to soothe post-shave skin irritation and burning. It contains the soothing tannins which help to alleviate the condition.
Word of caution
While witch hazel’s skin benefits are many, excessive use can cause the skin to become dry and may also lead to irritation, especially if one has sensitive skin to begin with. As a result, it’s important to pair the ingredient with other moisturizing ones to balance out the effect, keeping the skin feeling plump and supple.
Witch hazel in Leovard skincare
Found in the formulation of Leovard’s Tonic, witch hazel is blended together with the hydrating and moisturizing aloe vera, the soothing green tea, as well as alligator pepper, ginger, white willow, yerba mate and turmeric to help give the skin a firmer and clearer appearance.
The Tonic is the second step of the Leovard Daily 7 step minimalist skin care routine and helps to soothe the skin post cleansing. No matter how gentle a cleanser you use, like the Leovard Multicleanser, some amount of rubbing is involved to remove dirt, sweat, makeup and other impurities, leaving the skin feeling a tad bit agitated. The Tonic therefore calms the skin down, alleviating any swelling and redness.
It also prepares the skin for the next few steps of hydrating and moisturizing, especially the witch hazel, as it helps to tighten the pores, giving the skin a smooth texture and a greater ability to absorb the goodness of the Multicream and Serum.
Witch hazel has undoubtedly not been celebrated or given the acclaim it deserves. However, it has the potential to help you remedy many common skin problems, and its regular use can be extremely beneficial for the skin, making it flawlessly beautiful.
Leave a comment