Benefits of turmeric in skincare
Have you ever looked at your grandmother’s or your mother’s skin and wondered how they have such beautiful skin? Well, before the world became too fussy about what fancy and expensive skincare products to buy, the old ladies were using all the natural remedies to make their skin youthful and glowy. Yes! You heard that right, the secret to their skin has always been natural remedies such as turmeric, aloe vera, yogurt and similar items easily found in your pantry!
Today, instead of discussing fancy and elaborate skincare techniques, we’ll be discussing the plethora of skin benefits of none other than turmeric, which like its radiant color, is nothing short of gold for the body and skin. So if you’re interested to know more about its benefits and how you can make it a part of your skincare routine, keep on reading.
What is turmeric?
Turmeric is a spice which is made from the root of Curcuma Zedoaria. Curcumin, the active ingredient in turmeric, is what gives it a yellow-gold tinge and is also what makes it anti-inflammatory. Turmeric has always been a staple skin care ingredient in eastern countries, with turmeric and yogurt paste applied to the skin of brides-to-be to achieve a glowing and radiant complexion in time for the big day, and only recently, western countries have also started using turmeric in their skin care products.
Benefits of turmeric
- Manages oily skin: For people who have oily skin, turmeric is a great ingredient to incorporate into the skincare routine because this helps in regulating the production of sebum, an oily substance produced by the sebaceous gland. This helps prevent clogged pores and subsequent acne breakouts.
- Slows down the aging process: As our skin gets exposed to UV rays and environmental pollution, it starts to lose its natural oils making the skin less elastic, causing early signs of aging such as fine lines and wrinkles to appear. These signs are first visible around the eyes, neck and forehead. Curcumin, found in turmeric, has high antioxidant compounds which boost the skin’s collagen production and strengthen the skin’s elasticity.
- Reduces dark circles: One of the most common skincare concerns is the appearance of dark circles around the eyes. Lack of sleep, hyperpigmentation, and spending too much time in front of the laptop screen or mobile phone can cause dark circles to appear. Here, turmeric comes to your rescue. Turmeric works as a lightening agent, which benefits the skin by minimizing the appearance of dark circles and boosting blood circulation, thereby, reducing the puffiness of the eyes.
- Combats acne: Turmeric has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help in fighting off pimples and breakouts. Applying turmeric also helps in reducing the redness from the acne, prevents scarring and reduces inflammation.
- Adds glow and brightens the skin: Curcumin has potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties which help reduce hyperpigmentation and blemishes, while also brightening the skin and revealing its natural glow. The turmeric found in Leovard’s Tonic makes it a perfect hydrating and nourishing everyday toner. It contains a total of eight potent antioxidants including turmeric, which help fight inflammation, keep acne and scars at bay, as well as brighten the skin.
- Helps with psoriasis: Psoriasis is a skin condition that is faced by many people. It is a condition that makes your skin extremely dry and thick. It causes severe irritation and also inflames the facial skin. Since turmeric has anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties, it can help in killing the bacteria that causes psoriasis and reduce skin inflammation.
- Moisturizes dry skin: During the harsh winter season, your skin becomes dull and dehydrated. Applying products with turmeric, or homemade turmeric masks or packs can help in moisturizing the skin during the dry weather. Turmeric also helps in removing the dead skin cells in order to rejuvenate the skin and promote cell turnover.
Turmeric is an old remedy that helps in addressing a number of skin issues. It cures acne, reduces hyperpigmentation, lightens the skin tone and also helps in treating and managing serious skin conditions such as psoriasis. Skincare products with turmeric are easily available in the market, and you can also make your own homemade masks. When choosing a product, always opt for one’s that are as natural and organic as possible, and free of harmful additives, like the Leovard skin care solutions. They are safe for all skin types and regular use can transform your skin in unimaginable ways.
You have to try it to believe it.
Leave a comment