Have you come across the term blood facial while on your search for the best kind of facial to get for glowing skin and been instantly horrified out of your mind? Well, same. It wasn’t until some deep research that we were able to better understand what all this less-than-common, unorthodox facial was about, and today we’ll be sharing all of the details with you.
While it sounds like something out of a horror movie, blood facials can actually provide some amazing benefits to your skin with little to no risk of side effects. Essentially, a blood facial involves injecting your own blood into your face. Yes, you read that right! This type of procedure has gained popularity with many celebrities over the years and can be used for a variety of facial treatments, from wrinkle-reducing serums to plumping your lips.
In this blog, we'll take an in-depth look at blood facials - the hows, whats, and whys - and what you should consider before trying one out for yourself. We’ll also be sharing some aftercare tips, so if you’re someone who’s never heard of it before and are intrigued, or want to know a bit more before opting for it, then hold tight and read until the very end.
What Is a Blood Facial?
A blood facial, also known as "blood therapy" or "PRP therapy" is a type of facial that takes a small amount of your own blood and injects it back into your skin, helping to rejuvenate and recuperate the skin to make it look healthier, youthful and radiant. The idea is to use platelet-rich plasma (PRP) taken from your own blood to enrich the skin with your body's own healing properties. The plasma helps to stimulate collagen production and increase circulation, which can reduce wrinkles, improve texture, and create an overall healthy glow. Blood facials are usually recommended for people with acne or blotchy skin who want a brighter complexion and more even skin tone.
The procedure typically involves the following steps:
- Consultation: The patient will first consult with a licensed medical professional to determine if they are a suitable candidate for the procedure.
- Blood Draw: A small amount of blood is drawn from the patient's arm, similar to a routine blood test.
- Centrifugation: The blood is then placed in a centrifuge to separate the platelets from the red blood cells.
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Extraction: The platelet-rich plasma (PRP) is extracted from the separated blood components.
- Skin Preparation: The patient's face is thoroughly cleansed and prepared for the PRP application.
- Micro-needling: A micro-needling device is used to create small punctures in the surface of the skin, which helps to stimulate collagen production and prepare the skin for the PRP.
- PRP Application: The PRP is then applied to the patient's face, typically using a small needle or syringe. The PRP is absorbed into the skin through the micro-needling punctures.
- Post-Treatment Care: After the PRP is applied, the patient's face may be red and swollen. The medical professional will provide post-treatment care instructions to minimize any discomfort and promote optimal healing.
The entire procedure typically takes about 30 minutes to one hour, depending on the patient's needs and the extent of treatment. The results of a blood facial may take several weeks to become visible, and multiple sessions may be necessary for optimal results.
So what are the pros and cons to using a blood facial? Read on to learn more!
Benefits of a Blood Facial for Skin Health
There are a few major benefits to getting a blood facial:
- First, the procedure is thought to boost collagen production and improve skin's elasticity by supplying more oxygen and nutrients to the skin. This can help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, giving skin a more youthful appearance.
- Second, blood facials can help increase blood circulation—which can improve your overall complexion. By stimulating cellular turnover, blood facials help improve texture and skin tone by removing impurities from deep within your pores, leaving you with a clean complexion full of radiance and vitality.
- Third, this treatment helps nourish skin cells with powerful compounds such as growth factors and cytokines—which can be beneficial in helping reduce inflammation and redness caused by acne or rosacea.
- The plasma-rich platelets may be infused with other ingredients like vitamins, minerals, and hyaluronic acid to help with improving hydration and moisture levels for plump, glowing skin.
- Lastly, by infusing natural antioxidants into your skin cells on a cellular level, it helps protect your skin from environmental stressors such as pollution or ultraviolet rays that could cause damage over time.
All in all, if you're looking for an effective way to revitalize your skin without harmful chemicals then a blood facial may be right for you!
Potential Risks and Side Effects Associated with Blood Facials
You may be thinking that blood facials sound awesome, and in some cases, they are – but any time you're introducing something new to your skin, there can be risks. Here are a few things to know about the potential risks and side effects associated with using blood facials.
These treatments can cause uncomfortable sensations like stinging or burning as the plasma is injected back into the skin. You may also experience temporary redness or swelling after your treatment.
Since you're using blood from your own body, there is no risk of disease transmission. However, there is still a risk of getting an infection from unsterilized tools or improper application technique.
Blood contains trace amounts of products that can cause allergic reactions in some people, so if you have sensitive skin or allergies, it's important to let your practitioner know before scheduling a session.
It's also important to seek out a professional who has experience in administering these treatments—and make sure they're following all safety protocols—to minimize the risk of other potential side effects like scarring and discoloration.
Who Should and Shouldn't Get a Blood Facial
Blood facials aren't for everyone—so who should and shouldn't get one?
Who Should Get a Blood Facial
If you're looking for an alternative anti-aging treatment, there's no substitute for a blood facial. They are particularly effective for those who are looking to improve the texture and tone of their skin, and want to get rid of wrinkles, age spots and discoloration. It can also help with scarring from acne or other skin conditions.
Who Shouldn't Get a Blood Facial
Those with certain medical conditions like diabetes or cancer, or with any kind of infection may not be good candidates for blood facials. It's also not recommended if you're pregnant, so if you have any of these conditions, discuss with your doctor first before booking an appointment.
While the process itself is fairly quick and minimally invasive, each skin is different and you may experience some redness and swelling. Rest assured, it will subside within a few days to reveal healthy and glowing skin. In the meantime, here are some common aftercare instructions that you should follow for a few days post treatement:
- Avoid touching the treated area to minimize the risk of infection.
- Avoid makeup in order to allow the treated area to heal.
- Use a gentle cleanser. We recommend the Leovard Multicleanser.
- Avoid sun exposure to minimize the risk of hyperpigmentation or sun damage.
- Use a moisturizer to keep the treated area hydrated and moisturized as this promotes healing. Use a gentle, non-comedogenic moisturizer like the Mulitcream as needed.
- If the stinging is making you uncomfortable, a soothing toner like the Leovard Tonic consisting of lavender and chamomile may help alleviate the pain.
- Don’t skip the follow up appointments as they may be necessary to monitor progress and determine if additional treatments are needed.
It is important to follow all aftercare instructions provided by the medical professional who performed the procedure to ensure the best possible outcome.
When it comes to blood facials, the pros definitely outweigh the cons. It is an effective way to improve the appearance of your skin without the use of invasive treatments.
The benefits of a blood facial are numerous – from improved circulation and skin tone to softening wrinkles, the procedure can lead to some amazing results. And, since it’s a minimally invasive treatment with little downtime and aftercare, it’s ideal for busy lifestyles.